Thursday, June 9, 2011

Super 8? Nah...I'd give it a 10

WARNING: This is not a spoiler alert. You do not have to proceed with caution.
Everything is better in NYC - you don’t even have to wait for a midnight showing to watch a major flick! It’s only Thursday, June 9 1:15 pm as I write this, but I’ve already seen one of the most anticipated summer movies even though the release date is Friday, June 10.
I’m not sure what I expected from the movie, but it wasn’t what I expected. It was, however, well done. I mean, J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg collaborated on this movie. Did you expect anything less?
Philip and I went to a 10:45 am IMAX showing of Super 8 at the AMC Loews Theatre by Lincoln Center. The screen was twice the size of the average movie theater - In fact, I tried capturing the screen on my camera, but I could only get half the screen in the shot. And the theatre itself was massive...but empty.
One of Philip’s favorite things about anticipated films is that they are packed with excited movie goers who are just as excited as he is to watch the newly released movie - particularly at midnight showings. But in an effort to be one of the first to watch the movie (and save $15), we went to the first showing we found, a pre-release of sorts, that not many people seemed to know about.
We did, however, get free (small) posters for Super 8 and free small popcorns.
Was it worth it to wake up early in case a line would form for the movie? To show up so early we were locked out of the theatre and ate breakfast at a local diner while we waited? To find the best seats in the house and snag ‘em?
Yeah, it was worth it.

Oh, and for those who are going to watch the movie...don't get up as soon as the credits start rolling. You might be in for a surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment