Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Bittersweet Arrival

Me and Philip at Sky Harbor with our many bags.
We arrived safely at JFK this morning. With the number of bags we had (4 check-in suitcases and 5 carry-ons), we were in desperate need of a van taxi...they’re not as rampant as taxi cars and SUVs, so we were concerned about running into this challenge immediately upon arriving in New York after a redeye. 

But it is New York, and we need not have worried. Besides, it just so happened that when it was our turn for a taxi, a van pulled up.

The drive to our new apartment seemed long. And short. I slept through the entire hour-long drive, so I didn’t get to enjoy my first journey to my first New York home.
Our apartment is a cute studio, about 300 sq. ft. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that 300 sq. ft. is not as small, cramped, and claustrophobic as I had feared. It is a furnished apartment with an 8-foot tall, double-wide maple bookshelf immediately to the right of the door. Across the room is a dark brown square kitchen table for two pushed against the wall and small backless chairs with leather seats. On one side of the table is a medium-sized fridge, sink, and small stove; on the other side is a full-sized bed and a black desk with black chair.
It sounds like a lot of furniture, but it fits perfectly in our apartment.
I didn’t care that I slept through my drive home. I didn’t care that the apartment was small (however cute). What I cared about was that I had an apartment to drive to, an apartment where I could crash before my job interview. Yes, a job interview on the same day I moved across the country. It was an ambitious decision, but I was excited about the job and the interview and simply wanted to get it done.
After the job interview, which was at the King’s College in the Empire State Building, I ran to meet Philip at the Starbucks on the first floor so that he was the first person to know that I was offered a job!
I’m excited to begin my new life in the Big Apple.

2 comments:

  1. I love your Blog. I'm so proud and excited of you two. I will be back to keep an eye on you. That's amazing you got a job the same day you moved there. Ummmmmm wonder how that happened? Isn't GOD amazing!! We love you guys and tell Philip not to worry about his parents we will keep an eye on them while he is gone. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bret! We know you'll take good care of Philip's parents. :)

    ReplyDelete