Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Bittersweet Departure

It’s been a bittersweet day. Moving days always are, though, aren’t they?
It’s 11:15 pm on Wednesday night in Phoenix, and Philip and I are waiting to board our plane to New York. For months, we’ve been planning for this very night, but now that it’s here, it seems surreal. 
All day, I’ve been packing and saying my goodbyes. This morning, I went to work at Grand Canyon University for the last time. Even the atmosphere in the office was bittersweet. It was convocation day, so our students were leaving us, and everyone, not just me, had to pack up all their belongings because the University would be demolishing the building over the summer. 
I had hoped packing my office would give me some sense of closure, but I didn’t find closure today - perhaps because everyone was packing.
It’s 11:30 pm now, and our plane is supposed to depart in 10 minutes. But I don’t think that’s going to happen. Everyone is still sitting in their seats, waiting patiently to board. Oh, wait! They just called for everyone who paid extra money for extra leg room.
I’ll finish writing about my day later...perhaps after I get settled into my new apartment tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment