Wednesday, May 11, 2011

On Beauty

What is beauty? 
Artist in Times Square
Is it the girl every guy chases or the guy every girl wants? The perfectly blossomed rose in the midst of flowers still blooming? The toddler in a pink dress twirling for her daddy? I don’t have an answer for you.

What makes something beautiful?
Is it the brilliant color that emanates from something? The interesting pattern and unique texture? The perfect harmony of musical notes? I don’t have an answer for you.

Who decides what beauty is?
Is it the popular crowd at work or school? The magazine editor of a beauty magazine? The fashion designer with a new clothing line? This I have an answer for: YOU.
Phantom Pit

The cliche “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” may be overused, but it’s pure truth. You define what beauty is. You decide what makes something beautiful. You. No one can deny you the right to your definition of beauty.
I used to want so badly to find beauty in the sky, the cactus, the Grand Canyon because everyone else seemed to. These were God’s creations, but I couldn’t see the beauty. 
I’ve realized, though, that I find beauty in other creations: the green trees and forests, flowers with just the right mix of colors, the contrast of something beautiful against something harsh, a city skyline...

Panorama of Times Square
I find beauty in certain songs and in certain lyrics, in musicals or ballet performances, in the Resurrection Dance, in books and movies with strong story lines...

Theatre where Phantom is performed
Today, I found beauty on the stage of Phantom of the Opera at the Majestic Theatre. Philip and I bought tickets at TKTS in Times Square, and the tickets turned out to be on the front row, off to the side. The pit was just below us, and the actors were just a few feet in front of us. The story, acting, and singing were beautiful, and they moved me to tears.

That’s how I know something is beautiful. It moves me. Somehow or another (often through tears), it moves me.  Seeing beauty in the world around us is so important, but we have to know how to recognize it. 

Can you recognize your brand of beauty?


1 comment: